Janssen Law, PLC

Des Moines Law Blog

Can vaccine disagreements affect custody?

If you are getting a divorce in Iowa and have children, there will be a huge focus on custody. The court may look at many different aspects of your lives to determine who gets custody of the children. If you and your spouse are embroiled in a disagreement over vaccinating your children, it could play into the court's final decision on custody.

According to the National Vaccine Information Center, the general trend of family courts is to side with the parent who is for vaccinating the children. Of course, the circumstances of the disagreement and the past actions will come into play. For example, if your child has had an adverse reaction to a vaccine and has medical documentation of that situation, then the court may side with the parent who is against vaccination because it would be in the best interest of the child. However, if the anti-vaccine ideals are purely based on personal beliefs, then there is less of a chance for the court to side with that parent.

Co-parenting advice for a harmonious family

Co-parenting after a divorce is one of the greatest struggles couples have in Iowa. Working together after ending a marriage can be tough, especially if the divorce was messy. However, once the marriage has ended, parents are still obligated to take care of their children and ensure they have a happy and healthy life. When co-parenting issues get in the way, it can negatively affect the children.

The Huffington Post agrees, noting that divorced parents should never fight in front of their children. They should keep heated discussions for private times when the kids are not around. Parents also need to stay focused on the kids. Moving on and creating a new life does not mean leaving the kids behind. Both parents have to stay active in their lives.

Why you need to have a will

Why you need to have a will

At the Iowa firm of Janssen Law, PLC, we know how important it is for everyone to have an estate plan, not just if you are elderly or extremely wealthy. One of the most important parts of your estate plan is your will, a written document setting forth how you want your personal assets to be distributed after you die and who you want to distribute them. Your will also can designate who you want to be the guardian(s) of your minor children after your death.

Bankruptcy could be the tool you use to stop wage garnishment

Dealing with debt is an unpleasant experience in many ways, and it can have a negative toll on multiple areas of your life. One of the ways that you may experience the effects of a significant amount of debt is through wage garnishment. This happens when a portion of your wages does not go to you, but goes to creditors.

It may feel like an affront and a violation of your rights, but it is possible to make it stop. By filing for bankruptcy, you can not only make the wage garnishment process stop, you can pursue a better financial future while confronting your debt. If you are not able to take home your full pay check because of garnishment, you do not have to put up with it anymore.

How to adopt a child from foster care?

There are many children in foster care who are waiting for homes in Iowa. The foster care system is often overwhelmed and the state is always looking for qualified parents who will take in these children and offer them a safe and happy home.

AdoptUSKids reports that adopting a child who is in foster care may differ somewhat from a private adoption. This adoption option will generally cost far less than private adoptions. In addition, most people who adopt from the foster care system are already working with the state or an agency contracted with the state. Many private adoptions involve children who are infants, but the foster system generally sees older children without many options to adopt a baby. Children are typically in the foster system because they have a bad home life. They may have been abused or neglected and require an adoptive family who can understand their unique needs.

How can you help children adjust during a divorce?

When you and your husband divorce in Iowa, sometimes it is your children who are most affected by the new living situation. Because of this, it is important to understand how you can help your children adjust to the changes in their lives.

As you go through your divorce, it is important to remember that your children need to talk about the situation. HealthyChildren.org. says that you should make sure your kids talk about the divorce with you or another adult so they can express their feelings about the situation. This can help children process the new event in their lives and adjust to the changes. You may also want to make sure your kids know that you are speaking to someone as well, as this can demonstrate that it is all right to talk about the divorce. 

Separating bankruptcy fact from fiction

If you are like many people across Iowa who are considering filing for bankruptcy, you may feel fearful, anxious and uninformed. There are many misconceptions out there when it comes to the process, which can make it increasingly difficult to make a truly educated decision about whether it is the right move for you. At Janssen Law, PLC, we have helped many clients learn more about the steps involved in filing for bankruptcy while helping them separate myth from reality in the process.

Among the more common myths about filing for bankruptcy, per Bankrate, is the belief that in doing so, you will lose your car, your home and everything else you value. This is typically not the case. You may be able to hold onto certain items you need by listing them as exemptions. You may also be able to keep your car and home after filing for bankruptcy if you can continue to make your payments on them.

How do I choose a guardian for my child?

If you are creating an estate plan and have minor children, one of your concerns will be creating a guardianship for your children. A guardian, according to Parenting, is the person who will take custody of your children in the event of your death. When you have children, it is essential to choose a guardian as soon as possible so there is not trouble if you were to pass away. Having it legalized can minimize many issues and ensure your child has the smoothest possible transition after such a devastating situation.

Choosing a guardian, though, is often marred by personal feelings and disagreements. You and your spouse should work together to choose the person. There are many considerations to make. Also, the person does not have to be related to you. If you express in a legal document that you wish your child to be cared for by a specific person, the actual relationship does not matter. Your wishes are legally binding.

At what age should a person start estate planning?

It may seem like a silly question to ask when Iowa residents should begin estate planning. Many people mistakenly think this is something for old people to do. That is the exact reason why this question is so important because the answer may surprise you. Estate planning is not just for "old people." It is for anyone who has a solid need to control what happens with his or her future.

Fidelity notes estate planning should begin as soon as a person has assets to distribute to heirs. Often it is recommended to begin as soon as you have children. It is important to understand estate plans go far beyond a will and offer you and your heirs more protection. You can plan for taxes in an estate plan and ensure additional details, such as health care wishes.

Things you may not know about divorce

Getting divorced in Iowa can be confusing, especially if you do not know all the rules and regulations. Mistakes can lead to delays that may cost you valuable time and money. We at Janssen Law can guide you through this complicated process and ensure that all laws are carefully obeyed and your divorce is as simple as possible.

According to the Iowa State Bar Association, you must have lived in the state for at least one year before you will be allowed to file for a divorce under local laws. On your paperwork, you will need to list the county that you live in and indicate how long you have been a resident there.

The determination of the need for legal services and the choice of a lawyer are extremely important decisions that should not be based solely upon advertisement or self-proclaimed expertise. This disclosure is required by the rule of the Supreme Court of lowa. A description or indication of limitation of practice does not mean that any agency or board has certified such lawyer as a specialist or expert or more competent than any other lawyer. All potential clients are urged to make their independent investigation and evaluation of any lawyer being considered. This notice is required by rule of the Supreme Court of lowa. Any information provided as a result of receiving a response to this website should be considered general in nature and no personal legal advice will be provided without first establishing an attorney/client relationship.

700 Second Ave.
Suite 103
Des Moines, IA 50309-1712

Phone: 515-421-9068
Fax: 515-274-1364
Map & Directions