Janssen Law, PLC

Get Personal And Attentive Legal Representation

May 2018 Archives

Hidden issues adoptees face and what to do about them

Most Iowa families who choose to expand through adoption have kindness and love at the core of their motives. Maybe they personally know someone who experienced belonging for the first time as a result of adoption, or perhaps they have had the privilege of visiting an orphanage in the U.S. or somewhere around the world.

What do you do if your income is too high for Medicaid?

Planning for posterity in Iowa could mean putting money away for your beneficiaries. It also might entail making the most of every available resource at your disposal in order to minimize the impact your own living expenses have on your estate. A Medicaid payback trust is one type of financial document that could help you reduce medical costs, in some situations.

Bankruptcy does not mean you will never get another loan

Many people face financial struggles, you among them. While your immediate reaction to dealing with your financial hardships may be to keep them private, you may have reached a point where asking for help would work in your best interests. Of course, you may not feel entirely confident in knowing where to turn for such assistance.

Facts to know about guardianships for disabled children

Parents have enough reason to worry about their children entering the adult world at 18, but for Iowa parents with disabled children, such worries are multiplied substantially. Some parents wonder if they should place their child under an appointed guardianship. But at the same time, they do not want to stifle their child’s independence. There is, however, more leeway in a guardianship than many people may know, which can help parents with their specific wishes for their child.

When and where can you file for divorce?

If your marriage is at an end and you wish to file for divorce, it is important to understand the laws on when and where you can file. You simply cannot go to any state and file for divorce as states typically have residency requirements. In Iowa, according to the Iowa State Bar Association, either you or your spouse must be a resident of the state in order to file for divorce in the state. To be considered a resident, you or your spouse must have lived in the state for at least one year. You also cannot file at just any courthouse. You must file in the county in which you or your spouse lives. 

Email Us For A Response

Have A Legal Matter? Let Us Help.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Janssen Law, PLC
700 Second Ave.
Suite 103
Des Moines, IA 50309-1712

Phone: 515-421-9068
Fax: 515-274-1364
Des Moines Law Office Map

Review Us