Janssen Law, PLC

Get Personal And Attentive Legal Representation

Guardianship Archives

When are guardianships in Iowa terminated?

A guardianship over a person in the state of Iowa may be necessary for a host of reasons. A minor child may need a guardian in lieu of a parent due to the death of a parent or the inability of a parent to care for the child. A disabled person might require a guardianship to make critical financial and personal decisions. However, not all guardianships are permanent. Some guardianships come to a natural conclusion, while others may be terminated if certain factors come into play.

Should you name a guardian to head your child’s trust?

As you make preparations for your child’s future, you may have already designated a person to be a guardian for your child in the event you and your spouse are incapacitated or pass away. You might also be considering setting up a trust for the child and are looking for a person to be an Iowa trustee. Then it hits you: why not name the person that would be your child’s guardian as the trustee? It seems like a logical step, but you should be careful as you consider this choice.

Who would be the best guardian for a child?

For some Iowa families, the choice of a guardian might seem relatively clear. A godmother, uncle, parent or other trusted individual might seem like the perfect person to take care of your child should you become unable to do so. However, you might not be considering every angle of the issue.

Facts to know about guardianships for disabled children

Parents have enough reason to worry about their children entering the adult world at 18, but for Iowa parents with disabled children, such worries are multiplied substantially. Some parents wonder if they should place their child under an appointed guardianship. But at the same time, they do not want to stifle their child’s independence. There is, however, more leeway in a guardianship than many people may know, which can help parents with their specific wishes for their child.

Making sure you have the right guardianship

When a person becomes disabled or is chronically infirm due to old age or some other malady and can no longer properly care for him or herself, that person might end up placed in the care of a guardian if they cannot be cared for by a relative. However, many of us don’t think of this as a possibility for ourselves. It always happens to “other people.” But what if, sometime in the future, you are hurt or disabled and are placed in the care of an Iowa guardianship? Will it be someone that you would want to make decisions for you?

What are the powers of a guardian?

If you have been appointed as someone's guardian or are going to become a guardian, then it is a good idea to prepare yourself by learning about your duties and powers in this position. You are taking on a serious responsibility for the care of another person. An Iowa court has appointed you as a person of power over someone else's life, which is a very important duty. 

What does guardianship mean?

If you have a loved one who is unable to make decisions for his or herself due to being underage or otherwise not having the capacity to do so, then you might want to consider a guardianship. In Iowa, according to the Iowa Governor's Developmental Disabilities Council, having guardianship over someone means you get to make the decisions for that person in regards to important issues, such as medical care. 

Is guardianship needed for an Alzheimer's patient?

If you have a loved one who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's in Iowa, you may be concerned about the future. This disease is difficult to predict except for the guarantee that everyone who has it will get worse over time. There is no cure and medications may not always work to slow the progress of the disease. At the same time, if your loved one is in relatively good health, the chances are pretty good he or she will live quite a long time with the disease, which means eventually, you will need to step in and manage his or her care.

How do I choose a guardian for my child?

If you are creating an estate plan and have minor children, one of your concerns will be creating a guardianship for your children. A guardian, according to Parenting, is the person who will take custody of your children in the event of your death. When you have children, it is essential to choose a guardian as soon as possible so there is not trouble if you were to pass away. Having it legalized can minimize many issues and ensure your child has the smoothest possible transition after such a devastating situation.

What is the difference between irrevocable and revocable trusts?

If you are creating estate plans in Iowa, you may be looking into a trust. There are two types of trusts to consider: irrevocable and revocable. According to US News & World Report, weighing your options between the two is important because both types of trusts offer different benefits and have their own drawbacks.

Email Us For A Response

Have A Legal Matter? Let Us Help.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Janssen Law, PLC
700 Second Ave.
Suite 103
Des Moines, IA 50309-1712

Phone: 515-421-9068
Fax: 515-274-1364
Des Moines Law Office Map

Review Us